Tuesday, February 2, 2010

Blogging: Inappropriate for Professionals?

Everyone is biased: it can't be prevented. In class we discussed that not only what you say on air affects what people think of your opinions, but what you say every other day of your life.

Our professor warned us about the significantly negative influence a personal blog, social network membership, or even twitter account could have on a journalist's professional career. I thought about how often I share my personal life with the Internet, and let's face it--I put a lot out there. Granted, I'm not nearly as open as some people. I make my Facebook profile settings private, and don't treat my blog as a "dear diary"-type journal. Still, a future employer or audience could find out quite a bit about me with just a little bit of Google sleuthing.
I thought about it and came to a conclusion: I could never have a job that stifled my creative outlets through blogging, twittering or Facebooking. I would hate being a local celebrity. You would be watched wherever you went, and anything you did would be news.

I think I'll stay anonymous, thank you.

No comments:

Post a Comment